Any opposition to changing share/guile/X.Y.Z to share/guile/X.Y?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Any opposition to changing share/guile/X.Y.Z to share/guile/X.Y?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:47:09 -0600

I'm working on the packaging of 1.6 for Debian, and I wondered if
anyone would oppose dropping the minor revision number from guile's
working directory.  The argument against would be that it isn't as
specific and would prevent you from having two minor revisions of
guile installed in the same place at the same time, but you can't do
that anyway since their library, binary, etc. names would collide.

The argument in favor is that it means that any other guile "add-on"
packages that are guile version sensitive can place a symlink (or a
copy) of their .scm dir in share/guile/X.Y/ without having to worry
about the directory being yanked out from under them when the guile
package goes from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu