Re: define and modules

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: define and modules
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:51:35 -0500

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 12:20, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> >     "Syntax error:  invalid use of define" or "Syntax error: invalid define
> > form"?
>
> I think this is not general enough.  It works for the special case of
> define, but the point is not, that the define form is broken, but that a
> macro is used as an argument to something else.
     You mistake which 'define the error refers to I think.  It refers to
the 2nd appearance of 'define, not the first;  `form' refers to
the bare identifier.  Because macro expansion should occur _before_
the evaluation of the arguments of the outer define.
      In other words: You're right that it shouldn't be detected as
special case of the outer define failing, but rather as one of the
macro expansion failing.

Lynn