C level mutices and condition variables

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: C level mutices and condition variables
Date: 26 Oct 2002 22:12:25 +0200

Hi,

currently, we support the scm_t_mutex and scm_t_cond types, along with
some functions.  You can declare a variable of type scm_t_mutex and
initialize it with scm_mute_init, for example.

This makes it hard to have SCM data in a scm_t_mutex since you have to
protect it without the help from the user of the mutex.  Also, this is
not 'astract' enough when we make thread package support a run-time
option (which we should).

Dirk did some work in this direction in the dirk-thread-factorization
branch.  I propose something simpler:

Let's just remove C level support for mutex and condition variable
objects and tell them to use the Scheme level mutices, which are also
available to C.  (With deprecation.)

Ok?