Re: Guile CVS Build Problems (was: Re: What can I do to help? (conclusio

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Guile CVS Build Problems (was: Re: What can I do to help? (conclusions))
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:43:57 -0500

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Right -- that's why I was originally confused, and just copy/pasted
> the code from what we were already doing.  I'm getting ready to look
> in to it.  Perhaps there's some libtool magic involved here...

Apparently there is some libtool manipulation involved.

We're not calling LTDL_SET_PRELOADED_SYMBOLS from main anymore, and
from this[1] I'm guessing that somehow libtool injects the variable
into the build process during the main binary build.

Sure enough, if you check the resulting guile binary

  nm libguile/.libs/guile | grep lt_preload
  $ nm libguile/.libs/guile | grep lt_preload
  080488d8 R lt_preloaded_symbols

you see that lt_preloaded_symbols shows up in the read-only section of
the resultant guile binary even though AFAIK we don't define it
anywhere in our source code.  Looking at the libtool script itself, it
appears to add code to the binary during the build process that
defines the variable.

 [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2000-q3/msg00220.html
     (and followup)

--