Re: Debian packages (Re: What can I do to help?)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Debian packages (Re: What can I do to help?)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 00:51:35 -0500

Daniel Skarda <address@hidden> writes:

>   I am sorry for my provocative and ungrateful writing. It seems I
> have to learn how to write Debian packages so I could help and stop
> groaning. I have not look in /usr/share/doc/ and I thought that
> guile*.deb packages are lonely orphans.  Thank you for maintaining
> guile packages.

Thanks, and you're certainly welcome, though I *am* definitely running
behind.

> But I do not agree with you that Guile development versions should
> be hidden from outside world. It should be released, but clearly
> marked as a development version, which is unstable and it possible
> that its interface change in future.

You have good points, but let's wait until I get the debian/* files
into CVS and finish packaging.  At that point we can talk about it.

As an example concern, note that during a development series, the
major number of the shared libs may change (or may *not* change when
they should), so I want to be a little cautious about uploading
development packages where other debian developers might grab it and
install the -dev package without realizing the implications, and then
start building/uploading their own guile-dependent packages.  This may
not be a big deal, but I'll need to think about it.

> ps: I have quickly browsed through CVS workbook directory but have I
> not seen any schedule of 1.7.x development branch. What features
> will go to particular 1.7.x versions etc.

The main resource right now is workbook/tasks/TODO, but it only has a
few items at a moment.

> ps: Installing different guile versions with same prefix would cause
> conflicts.  Are you going to use same "strategy" as Gtk+?
> (usr/include/gtk-1.2, /u/i/gtk-2.0 etc..)

That's a good question -- for my initial debian packages, I'm probably
only going to allow one set of development files to be installed at a
time...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu