Debian packages (Re: What can I do to help?)

From: Daniel Skarda
Subject: Debian packages (Re: What can I do to help?)
Date: 03 Oct 2002 14:00:52 +0200

Hello,

  I do not know what Linux distribution you use or whether you use Linux at
all. Guile 1.6 was released sometime ago, but today new stable version still
does not have Debian package (not even in unstable branch of Debian).

  Read the message: people do not care about using Guile (otherwise there
would be demand for Debian package immediately after Guile release) and
Guile developers do not care about potential users (otherwise they would
offer such package along with the release).

  While I was browsing list of Debian packages, I noticed many packages of
development beta versions (sometimes even checkouts from CVS). Though there
was not package for libguile1.7. I do not understand this "message" Guile
developers want to send to potential Guile users :-(please do not use Guile?)

  I think that pushing latest version of Guile (and language bindings for
Guile) to popular Linux distribution would be very useful (though it is not
"real programming").

Best regards,
Daniel Skarda