Re: What can I do to help?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: What can I do to help?
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:34:42 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> What we /already have/ are three relevant functions, and one variable:
>  gnc:depend, gnc:support, gnc:load, gnc:*load-path*
>
> (gnc:depend "foo.scm")
>   loads foo.scm, using gnc:load, if it has not yet been loaded.
>
> (gnc:support "foo.scm")
>   indicates that the present file implements "foo.scm", so that it'll
>   "satisfy" a gnc:depend call.
>
> (gnc:load "foo.scm")
>   tries to load foo.scm, and attempts to locate the file in all the
>   directories specified by gnc:*load-path*

Ahh, right.

Though in the long run, I had thought about suggesting that gnucash
drop this stuff in favor of the normal guile module mechanisms.  One
of the main reasons I wrote the depend/support stuff in the first
place was because gnucash wasn't using modules at all.

Although you may be able to make a good argument for preserving some
sort of "separate" gnucash namespace/load-path, though the counter
argument would be that gnucash should just use sub-modules:

  (use-modules (gnucash extension foo))
  (use-modules (gnucash extension bar))
  (use-modules (gnucash extension baz))

or whatever.