Re: What can I do to help?

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: What can I do to help?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:27:18 -0400

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:59:05 +0200
Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > > Sounds like a good idea to me.  Is anyone else working on this? (don't
> > > want to step on anyone's toes).  Does anybody have any requests/advice for
> > > how it should/shouldn't be done?
> >
> > I *hope* this is just for interfacing with other systems.  Any beguiled
> > program should be using s-expressions for it's config file format.
> > That's basically the whole point of using Guile, right? ;^)
>
> Of course.  According to my overinflated ego, XML is just a complete
> pain to parse, to handle and generate. Unfortunately, it *is* becoming
> a standard, if we like it or not, and having no support for it raise
> the barrier for using GUILE (imo). For example people just keep asking
> me about XML file formats and MusicXML support for Lilypond.  Having
> an XML lib in GUILE would make addressing this issue easier.

Yes, I do believe it is necessary.  But it is a pain and it's ugly too.

> BTW, I did read that there were bindings for expat. I don't know which
> of the systems (expat and libxml) makes most sense to use, though. You
> try to find out whether the old bindings still work with recent GUILE
> releases.

I did get expat working at one time.  I'm not sure what changes need to
be made for 1.6.0 Guile.

Something else to consider is ssax: http://ssax.sourceforge.net/

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Senior Systems Consultant,      | Treasurer,