Re: Purpose of guile-xxx executables?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Purpose of guile-xxx executables?
Date: 12 Sep 2002 23:48:04 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> For the next release, I've changed to using dynamic-link and
> dynamic-call, so the scm_register_module_xxx goes away.  Given this,
> is there any point anymore in building the guile-xlib executable?

I don't think so.  We removed the guile-gtk executable from guile-gtk
for the same reasons.  I think it is OK to assume that dynamic-linking
just works.

> - building an executable allows me to check that my library doesn't
>   contain any unresolved externals

Yep, I have a mostly empty check_PROGRAM in guile-gtk for just this
reason.

> - something to do with platforms that only perform static linking.

> e.g. Guile + libguilexlib + libguilegtk + libguilepg.
>
> Is this correct?  If so, how should it work in detail?

Can't libtool help here, too?  If libtool can't rescue us, I'd say
it's mostly a SMOD (small matter of documentation).  People need to
gather the right libraries and build a small main program.  Getting
this right automatically might be more trouble than doing it by hand.
I would prefer to wait until someone really has a need to such
automation.