Purpose of guile-xxx executables?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Purpose of guile-xxx executables?
Date: 12 Sep 2002 22:12:16 +0100

In the last release of my guile-xlib package, I included a guile-xlib
executable that was identical to vanilla Guile except that it was
linked with my library and called scm_register_module_xxx(...) just
before scm_shell.

For the next release, I've changed to using dynamic-link and
dynamic-call, so the scm_register_module_xxx goes away.  Given this,
is there any point anymore in building the guile-xlib executable?

Two possibilities occur:

- building an executable allows me to check that my library doesn't
  contain any unresolved externals

- something to do with platforms that only perform static linking.

However, it seems to me that, on both these points, we should instead
have some more generic tool that allows the building of a custom Guile
with, in general, several libraries statically prelinked in,
e.g. Guile + libguilexlib + libguilegtk + libguilepg.

Is this correct?  If so, how should it work in detail?

        Neil