Re: Threads and asyncs

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Threads and asyncs
Date: 04 Sep 2002 19:57:17 -0700

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> p.s.: tb -- i've been wondering for a few years now:  a lot of my
> scheme plans derive from stuff that was "in the air" around the 4th
> floor and MIT generally a while back.   Do you argue with me so
> consistently because you feel I've ripped you off somehow?  I thought
> we were all egoless on this bus.

I argue with you consistently because you use a strategy which is an
irresponsible and unfair debating tactic, and which I will not permit
you to use.  It's called the "Cato" tactic.

Cato ended every speech with "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be
destroyed)--whether it was relevant to the speech or not.  Eventually
people stopped disputing it with him, and eventually they started
going along with it just so he wouldn't annoy them further.  And
finally, a costly war ensued.

You use the same strategy.  You have decided that (eq? #t '()) is the
Right Thing--by no means is this the only thing.  You toss in that
claim as often as possible, as frequently as you can, in as many
messages as you can manage to bring it up.  You pretend that this is
harmless, and you think it's tedious and bad for me to object, each
and every time, to it.

You are trying the Cato strategy, and it's not reasonable, and I don't
accept it.  The only way to defeat the Cato strategy is to argue
against the falsehood, each and every time it is brought up.  You'll
note that I do *not* initiate the discussion, each and every time it
has been you who does so.  You do so in the hopes that you can get in
your Cato-like pronouncement without being challenged, and you just
don't get that.

You can choose to debate it if you like, or not, but you don't get to
just toss off the assertion as if it's harmless, in the hope that it
will sink in and we'll do the your thing only because of your dogged
persistence.

You seem to think everything is personal, which pisses me off no end.
I have no idea what you were talking about in Scheme regards in Tech
Sq.  I have generally been singularly unimpressed by your
self-promotional enterprises, though I admit the graphic design of
your web pages is fun.

Thomas