Re: Threads and asyncs

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Threads and asyncs
Date: 03 Sep 2002 20:06:03 +0200

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, a thread would wake up when it is blocked and run its asyncs
> anyway.

I'd like to draw your attention to this.  What do you think of it?

When a thread blocks to wait for a mutex, say, it will wake up when a
async is marked for it and run that async.  Then it will go to sleep
again (unless it has acquired the mutex).  Likewise for condition
variables, select and other kind of blocks.

Also, I think we need a single mechanism that can block on multiple
objects.  For that, we should probably extend 'select' to also handle
mutixes, condition variables, thread joins, and maybe other things.

I have made asyncs per-thread in my working copy and they work fine.
I have also added 'current-thread' and 'all-threads' functions, which
I think are useful.