Re: Threads and asyncs

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Threads and asyncs
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:57:36 -0700 (PDT)

   >> And, not to reopen old wounds or restart old fights ---
   >> [#f vs ()]

   > You were making sense right up until this part.

SCM (still?) supports:

        (eq? #f ()) => #t

Guile has:

        (eq? #f '()) => #f

R4RS arguably permits either.

R5RS mandates Guile's behavior.

Old implementations have SCM's behavior (also found in systas scheme).

Common Lisp and Emacs Lisp have SCM's behavior.

A while back I tried to flame the current guile developers into
submission on this point, but they are resiliant against such attacks.
The "restart old fights" bit is in reference to that flame war -- it's
just me obsequiously mentioning the design issue in a hopefully
neutral way.

The SCM behavior described above is correct, if for no other reason
than that's how space aliens do it (see c.l.s. a few months back) :-)

the sometimes silly,
-t

(I really like english: what's the difference between obsequious and
sycophantic?)