Re: Guile 1.5.8 beta available for testing.

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.8 beta available for testing.
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:29:43 +0200

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 12:34:48PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:

> We are pleased to annouce the availability of Guile 1.5.8 for testing.
> Please report problems to address@hidden or address@hidden

[...]

>         - Make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't include anything
>           unnecessary -- though at the moment it (or
>           LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH) will need to include guile's lib
>           directory if that directory is not already in the normal
>           places libltdl looks.

Test results on an oldish Debian Woody on Intel (so pretty vanilla):

after the usual unpacking, ./configure, make, make install make check
(which seems satisfied), and make install (all defaults, so installation
goes to /usr/local/), calling guile:

| address@hidden:~/guile/guile-1.5.8$ guile
| ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
| ERROR: file: "libguilereadline-v-12", message: "file not found"

(there were some old guile libs in /usr/lib. Removing them didn't change
anything).

An strace reveals where guile is looking for this lib. Here's the bit which
looks relevant to me:

| open("/lib/libguilereadline-v-12.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
| open("/usr/lib/libguilereadline-v-12.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
| open("libguilereadline-v-12.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems to fix the problem for me:

| address@hidden:~$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib guile
| guile> (version)
| "1.5.8"
| guile>

NOTE: Yes, I have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf. Careful as I am ;-) I ran
/sbin/ldconfig, which didn't change anything (and the strace shows that guile
finds
its other libs unter /usr/local/lib anyway, it's just this
libguilereadline-v-12)

Thanks for the work, and I'm jumping excitedly up and down in expectation of
guile 1.6 :-)

Regards
-- tomas