syntax-case

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: syntax-case
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:57:36 -0500

    Does anyone else see the following behaviour (from a Petite Chez
session) as inconsistent?
     I was trying to figure out how you can eagerly expand macros without
worrying about this sort of thing, and

> (define x 5)
> (define-syntax foo
  (lambda (exp)
    (syntax-case exp ()
      ((_ y) (with-syntax ((z (datum->syntax-object (syntax _) x)))
               (syntax (quote (z y))))))))
> (foo 8)
(5 8)
> (let ((x 8))
    (let-syntax ((foo (lambda (exp)
                        (syntax-case exp ()
                          ((_ y) (with-syntax ((z (datum->syntax-object (syntax
_) x)))
                                   (syntax (quote (z y)))))))))
      (foo 'bar)))
Error: identifier out of context x.
Type (debug) to enter the debugger.

I thought maybe the foo got expanded and _then_ the marked up x was not
recognized in the environment, so I tried this:
> (define tmp
    (call/cc
      (lambda (k)
        (let-syntax ((foo (lambda (exp)
                            (syntax-case exp ()
          (foo 'h)))))

Error: identifier out of context k.
Type (debug) to enter the debugger.

    So, apparently let-syntax is allowed access only to global variables
(and other syntax), though  bindings from let(rec)  do shadow syntactic
keywords.

Lynn