Re: new GC code merged

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: new GC code merged
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:36:37 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>        Excuse my ignorance.  The notes in tag.h indicate that the
> least significant bit of the 2nd word of a cell is used for marking.
> I was reading gc.h and it appears the mark bits are stored
> separately.  On the other hand, I looked at a copy of guile from
> before your changes and it might also have used separate mark
> bitvectors.  So is that lsb of the second word of a cell actually
> free for some other use besides marking?

This has been changed shortly after 1.4 was released. It's free for
use, but since all the tags live in the first word of a cell, I don't
readily see a use for it (but I don't know much about implementations
for LISP like languages)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen