Questions about embedding Guile

From: Jesse Marlin
Subject: Questions about embedding Guile
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:38:52 -0400

I am not sure if this is the right list for this kind of question.

I am considering embedding guile in an application, and have some
questions about doing this.  The application will be using GTK.
I see three possible ways of doing this one of which may not be a
way at all:

1.  Using GTK's event loop for control and processing guile events
    either one at a time or a glob.

2.  Using Guile's event loop (or whatever it is referred to) and
    processing GTK events either one at a time or a glob.

3.  Run Guile in a seperate thread.

I am pretty sure 2 is possible and 1 is not.  I do not see a way in Guile
to control the flow of the interpreter.  GTK does provide such a mechanism
so 2 should be possible.  3 seems possible but may increase the complexity
of the design.

The application will have certain drawing primitives which I wish to be
user extendable using Guile, and possibly also extending the UI as well.

What would be ideal is to have my own event loop something like:

while (1)
{
        /* Process GTK events */
        gtk_main_iteration ();

        /* Process guile events */
        gh_process_events ();
}

Is this possible or does anybody have any suggestions for doing this?
Thanks for any help.