Re: port initialization?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: port initialization?
Date: 08 Aug 2002 22:31:34 +0200

> address@hidden writes:
> >>   z = scm_cell (scm_tc16_strport, 0);
> >> This looks like fishy code to me. When scm_add_to_port_table triggers
> >> GC then it will see the (scm_tc16_strport, 0) cell, which is (or
> >> should be) invalid.
> >
> >Yes, but the GC will not notice since "z" still refers to it and
> >therefore the port cell wont be freedo
>
> That's not what I meant: z is a heap cell containing a null
> pointer. GC-ing it will dump core.

Sure?  Closed ports do contain NULL pointers as well and the GC can
handle them just fine.  The second word of a cell that is tagged as a
port is not a SCM.  The GC knows that and will not try to follow it
(except when freeing a port cell but then only when it is not flagged
as closed).  Am I missing somthing?

> > >   SCM port = scm_cell (scm_tc16_port, newport);
> > >   newport->port = port;
> > >                 ..
> > >     }
> > /
> > This will leak newport when the call to scm_cell throws.
>
> scm_cell throws, what do you mean?

I meant, when we run out of memory.  Does scm_cell signal an error
then (als scm_misc_error), or does it just abort the process?