Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:10:21 -0700

Sergey Poznyakoff wrote:

> Agreed, I've proposed the #ifdef approach only as a temporary
> solution.
>
> > For now, can you tell which defines are the real trouble makers?  Are
> > there others than PACKAGE_STRING?  I'm wondering if we can just fix
> > the major offenders for now and then fix it *right* for 1.6.2.
>
> The major ones are: PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_TARNAME, PACKAGE_VERSION,
> PACKAGE_BUGREPORT. The HAVE_.* defines just generate lots of
> redefinition warning, but apart from that they don't do any harm.

I'm sure you know, the problem stems from standardized autoconf tests
pluging in standardized names.  Just add the following macro at the
end of the configure.ac file:

http://ac-archive.sf.net/Miscellaneous/ac_create_prefix_config_h.html

Commentary from the macro:

dnl takes the usual config.h generated header file; looks for each of
dnl the generated "#define SOMEDEF" lines, and prefixes the defined name
dnl (ie. makes it "#define PREFIX_SOMEDEF". The result is written to
dnl the output config.header file. The PREFIX is converted to uppercase
dnl for the conversions.
dnl
dnl default OUTPUT-HEADER = $PACKAGE-config.h
dnl default PREFIX = $PACKAGE
dnl default ORIG-HEADER, derived from OUTPUT-HEADER
dnl         if OUTPUT-HEADER has a "/", use the basename
dnl         if OUTPUT-HEADER has a "-", use the section after it.
dnl         otherwise, just config.h
dnl
dnl In most cases, the configure.in will contain a line saying
dnl         AC_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
dnl somewhere *before* AC_OUTPUT and a simple line saying
dnl        AC_PREFIX_CONFIG_HEADER
dnl somewhere *after* AC_OUTPUT.