Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:00:22 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Since the aforementioned doen't exactly do what we need (it creates
> a file prefixed with 'libguile-' rather than a file 'scmconfig.h.in')
> i can offer to modify it so we have another guile macro (would
> GUILE_CREATE_PUBLIC_HEADER be apropriate?).

Maybe, but I'm still unconvinced that this is easier to understand
than a simple C program with #ifdefs and printfs in it.  Imagine
coming to the project from the outside.  If you needed to fix
something I suspect that wading through a little bit of Makefile.am
and C code is going to be easier than trying to figure out extra
autoconfery and an add-on autoconf macro, and I suspect the future
maintenance burden of the C program would be lighter than that of
autoconf macros across auto* upgrades, etc.

I also kinda like the fact that with the C program approach we'll have
to be completely explicit about what actually goes in the generated
public header rather than just getting everything that's in config.h,
especially since most of the values in config.h shouldn't be needed
(or used by) or public headers.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu