Re: SCM_PTR_LE ?

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: SCM_PTR_LE ?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:24:55 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Can anyone explain to me why for the love of god, we have _macros_ to
> > compare pointers? (i.e. SCM_PTR_LT, SCM_PTR_GE) ?  SCM sources
> > indicate that this is to support Turbo C running in protected mode on
> > i386.
> >
> > I suggest it be scrapped.
>
> Hmm.  The macros look like a potentially useful abstraction to me.  We
> are not making use of it right now, but it wouldn't feel right to just
> remove them and thereby destroy information.

I think that pointer comparison is pretty well defined in ANSI C; can
you think of a solid reason to support them?

Not that this one instance bugs in particular, but the GUILE source
code is full of these so called "abstractions" that don't solve any
existing problem, and just make the source code hard to read and
debug.  I think we can not have too little unnecessary abstractions.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen