Re: lazy sweeping.

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lazy sweeping.
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:40:10 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> if I remember correctly, Guile has some logic to cope with suddenly
> running out of file descriptors: it calls GC in the hope that some
> port objects are unreachable.
>
> I guess now you don't have to nesessarily do a full GC right away,
> instead you may want to finish the sweep first and see if that helps,
> and only do a new GC if finishing the sweep haven't helped.  hmm.  so
> that's not as fiddly as I thought, and probably works as it is.
>
> ditto for malloced memory, I guess.

Hrm. I'll have to add some more logic then -- we want to be able to
completely clean the heap, but not advance the "free mem starts here"
pointer. What would be the right behavior: doing a full sweep, or a
mark + full sweep? Or maybe just both (first the full sweep, if it
doesn't yield enough: the full mark.)

Do you know where that function is?   I can't seem to find how a new
port is added. Oh wait. This goes through scm_must_malloc. Ok.