Re: lazy sweeping.

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: lazy sweeping.
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:14:18 +0300

> address@hidden writes:
>>
>> did you consider various finalizations?  like closing file descriptors
>> of dead ports, sort of fing.
>>
>> if you just lazy-sweep naively, some external resources may never get
>> freed.
>
> Ah, good idea. You mean when exiting GUILE completely? I'll add
> that.

er.  perhaps I was confused.

if I remember correctly, Guile has some logic to cope with suddenly
running out of file descriptors: it calls GC in the hope that some
port objects are unreachable.

I guess now you don't have to nesessarily do a full GC right away,
instead you may want to finish the sweep first and see if that helps,
and only do a new GC if finishing the sweep haven't helped.  hmm.  so
that's not as fiddly as I thought, and probably works as it is.

ditto for malloced memory, I guess.

sorry.

--
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.