Re: macros, procedure->macro

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: macros, procedure->macro
Date: 09 Jul 2002 20:13:46 +0200

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Automatic redefinition of classes is IMO a critical issue:
> Redefinition of a class means to change the structure of all objects
> of the class that already exist.  This should be a well considered
> step and should not happen automatically (I am not even sure whether
> it is a good idea at all).  It is not too inconvenient to request
> the user to call class-redefinition instead of define-class.  It
> will inhibit accidential redefinitions.

Class redefinitions are mainly useful during incremental development,
i.e. when you load a new version of a file that has already been
loaded previously.

I'd say it would be OK to reject (or warn about) redefinitions of any
kind when they occur in a single file, that is, when a name is defined
twice at two different locations in a file.