Re: macros, procedure->macro

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: macros, procedure->macro
Date: 07 Jul 2002 19:54:41 +0200

Lest anyone gets confused and is worried that we are talking about
removing macros from Guile: this is not the case.  "macro" is the
internal name for a special kind of syntactic device that is much like
a normal macro but is expanded everytime it is evaluated.  Normal
macros are only expanded once.

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, lets assume we want to get rid of "acros" and "macros".  When should
> that happen, and when should the corresponding functions be removed from
> guile?

As soon as reasonable. :)

> Removing these would change the interface.  According to our
> standard procedure, this would mean going through a phase of
> deprecating the corresponding functions.  However, this would mean,
> we could not actually proceed with working on the evaluator, since
> as long as those functions exist (even if deprecated) it is not
> possible to split up the evaluator.

Is it really impossible?  I'd say it can be done, as long as we have
'local-eval'.