Re: any news on 1.6 yet?

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: any news on 1.6 yet?
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 02:10:59 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > Can someone puleaze put in the following remark into the GUILE
> > documentation?
> >

> >   Be warned that the thread library (pthreads) will impose a 512k
> >   limit on the stack size, when compiling GUILE with thread
> >   support.
> >
> > We spent a _long_ time being flabbergasted at why our program dumped
> > core on perfectly valid data and innocent instructions.
>
> Wow, that's annoying -- do you know if this is an arch dependency, OS
> dependency, etc?

You're f*cked once you link with libpthreads (I could produce a crash
linking to guile --without-threads and libpthreads). Apparently the
thread package does include some functions to set the stackspace, but
those must be called before a thread is spawned. I know zilch about
threads, so I don't know the details behind this.

We managed to get the stack usage of our functions and GC mark
functions down (which is probably a good idea performance wise), but
it was annoying nevertheless.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen