Re: any news on 1.6 yet?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: any news on 1.6 yet?
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:40:12 -0500

> Sorry for pestering you again about the guile release, but I'm
> starting to get a little impatient. The mailing list has been quite
> dead for months, and it seems that development is being halted until
> the new stable release is out of the door.

Speaking for myself, that's true -- I'm not really working on HEAD
ATM, but I do have a number of things that should go into HEAD once
I'm ready -- i.e a month or two ago I got GMP working for bignums.  If
we can decide how to handle the licensing, those changes can go in.

In any case, now that various issues in my real-life have settled
down.  I'm now starting back up work on the release, FWIW.  I'd like
to give you a schedule, but I can't yet.  However, I should have a new
status update posted in less than a week.

> Also, my friend Jan submitted a patch for building GUILE crosscompiled
> to a cygwin target,
>
>   http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2002-February/004562.html
>
> which was met with
>
>>Thanks very much.  I'd like to wait until the people more familiar
>>with this particular issue can check the patch out before we apply it.
>>So this fix may not make it into 1.5.7, but presuming everything's
>>fine, it should make it into 1.5.8.
>
> I'm under the distinct impression that "the people more familiar" are
> more busy with putting various air castles into workbook files instead
> of evaluating and writing code.

I will look back at this patch.  I'd also like to hear if Marius (or
anyone else) has any comments.

> Can someone puleaze put in the following remark into the GUILE
> documentation?
>

>   Be warned that the thread library (pthreads) will impose a 512k
>   limit on the stack size, when compiling GUILE with thread
>   support.
>
> We spent a _long_ time being flabbergasted at why our program dumped
> core on perfectly valid data and innocent instructions.

Wow, that's annoying -- do you know if this is an arch dependency, OS
dependency, etc?

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu