any news on 1.6 yet?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: any news on 1.6 yet?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:53:37 +0200

Sorry for pestering you again about the guile release, but I'm
starting to get a little impatient. The mailing list has been quite
dead for months, and it seems that development is being halted until
the new stable release is out of the door.

Also, my friend Jan submitted a patch for building GUILE crosscompiled
to a cygwin target,

  http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2002-February/004562.html

which was met with

>Thanks very much.  I'd like to wait until the people more familiar
>with this particular issue can check the patch out before we apply it.
>So this fix may not make it into 1.5.7, but presuming everything's
>fine, it should make it into 1.5.8.
>
>Thanks again.

I'm under the distinct impression that "the people more familiar" are
more busy with putting various air castles into workbook files instead
of evaluating and writing code.

And if this sounds bitter, then you're darn right.  We spend a lot of
time with juggling around with various GUILE versions to find out what
bugs are coming from what combinations, and it would make our life a
lot easier if we would have one single, standardized, up-to-date GUILE
version.

But perhaps we're just whining, since we're the only guys that seem to
actually _use_ GUILE.

ObConstructive

Can someone puleaze put in the following remark into the GUILE
documentation?

  Be warned that the thread library (pthreads) will impose a 512k
  limit on the stack size, when compiling GUILE with thread
  support.

We spent a _long_ time being flabbergasted at why our program dumped
core on perfectly valid data and innocent instructions.