Re: [Autogen-devel] building a libguile client

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: [Autogen-devel] building a libguile client
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:53:45 -0700

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I execute noag-boot.sh and find that configure can't locate
> -lregex for some reason.  I do have it in /usr/lib.

But not in /usr/lib/libc*.

> So I export LIBS=-lregex and execute noag-boot.sh again.

Exactly the thing I was hoping to point you at with the config message:

>   cat >&2 <<'_EOF_'
> I cannot detect POSIX compliant regcomp/regexec routines.
> These are required for AutoGen to work correctly.  If you have
> such a library present on your system, you must specify it by
> setting the LIBS environment variable, e.g., "LIBS='-lregex'".
> If you do not have such a library on your system, then you should
> download and install, for example, the one from:
>     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/rx/

> I make distclean, configure --prefix=/usr --disable-shared and make.
> Now I find config.h and /usr/include/libguile/scmconfig.h redefine
> a boat load of constants, like PACKAGE_*, is this due to
> a misconfigure of libguile?

Yes.  Unfortunately, there is no trivial
way out of the problem.  I think the proper solution is for guile
(and any other package that installs its own config.h file) to
"prefix" the defines:

 http://ac-archive.sf.net/Miscellaneous/ac_create_prefix_config_h.html

and use those #define-d values from their installed config header.
It would be "good" to prominently document the importance of this
in the autoconf docs.  Meanwhile, we have a problem....

> I finally get to the compile of agen5/cgi-fsm.c and find cgi-fsm.h
> missing.  Is this supposed to be generated?  The agen5/cgi-fsm.c file is
> stored in CVS, should the corresponding header also be available from
> CVS?

No.  cgi-fsm.c is under CVS because it contains some edited source,
though it is mostly generated.  Looks like I left cgi-fsm.h off the
list of generated source.  Sorry.  It will be updated in a few minutes.
I'll also send it as an attachment under separate cover.