Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:26:44 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

>> Doesn't matter to me.  If you want to, great, otherwise I'll get to
>> it.  Is there much to do other than creating a LICENSE file with
>> (fairly brief) contents, and updating README to refer to it?
>
> No, that should be it.

This may be a little more work than I thought.  I'll probably commit
an initial LICENSE, and then we can work from there to flesh it out.

>From an initial rough pass, using the following command, I can see
that we have a substantial number of non GPL+exception files (do we
have any files not covered under either the GPL or GPL+exception?)

There's also at least one file, libguile/mkstemp.c, that's not covered
under the exception that probably should be :/

  find -type f | xargs grep -l 'General Public License' | sort > gpl.lst
  cat gpl-list | xargs grep -l 'As a special exception' | sort > gpl+except.lst
  diff -u gpl.lst gpl+except.lst  | egrep '^\-' | cut -b 2-

Looks like there are about 100 files not covered under the exception.
Though we may want to explicitly list them in LICENSE, we may also
want a passage in there about the overall *intent* of the exception,
i.e. that it's supposed to be safe to link even non-gpled apps against
Guile in most cases, or similar.

Also, as opposed to explicit individual file listing, we might be able
to substantially simplify the contents of LICENSE if we're willing to
stick to some policies wrt non-GPL+exception files that we can list
like:

  All .h or .c files outside of srfi or libguile are GPL.
  All Makefile.am files are GPL.
  All example .c and .h files are GPL

This would limit the number of individual files we have to list.

Thoughts?

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu