Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:09:42 -0500

address@hidden writes:

>> So I've filed a bug against the GNU standards package.  Let's see what
>> they say...
>
> Delegate ...

So Bradley Kuhn got back to me and said that he encourages the
creation of a LICENSE file which goes goes alongside COPYING and
details which files are covered under which license.  Of course each
source file should still mention the full licensing terms (with
suitable references to COPYING COPYING.LIB, etc. as appropriate, I
presume).

Given this approach, we'd still have COPYING as is, but we'd also have
LICENSE which I presume would contain something like this:

  Unless otherwise noted, all files in Guile are covered under the
  terms of the GPL as described in COPYING, but with the following
  additional exception: ...

  Files in Guile covered by other licenses:

    ./guile-readline/* -- covered under the GPL, see COPYING.

etc.

This approach seems OK to me.  How does everyone else feel about it?

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu