Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:02:20 -0500

"Jeff Read" <address@hidden> writes:

> This is acceptable. My main concern is that Guile not exhibit
> "creeping DLL hell".

Well I'd fight that too.  I agree that it's important, *especially*
given Guile's intent, to remain fairly self-contained, but I also
think that GMP may be a fairly special case.  It appears to do a hard
job pretty well, and probably isn't something where it's easy to roll
your own and get it right.

>I once heard a statistic that said the Gnucash project, for instance,
>has some 60 lib dependencies. Most of these are probably due to
>interlocking GNOME dependencies... but that factors into why I don't
>touch GNOME with a ten-foot pole.

I suspect it's over 60, but you're also right that it's mostly stuff
that's pulled in via GNOME.  The "lots of tiny libraries" doesn't
really cause me all that much trouble, but it's hard to evaluate what
it would be like if I weren't using Debian or some other distribution
that handles the packaging issues well.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu