Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).

From: Jeff Read
Subject: Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:35:35 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 06:17:07PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:

> OK, well we should keep that in mind, though as long as GMP supports
> the target architecture, and we arrange guile to handle a
> --with-gmp=/some/prefix argument, I'm not sure that keeping a copy of
> GMP's source tree inside ours buys much over just making sure the GMP
> tarfile is handy, and that we have good docs about any required
> configure args, etc.
>
> This is all presuming we were in a situation where you had to have
> GMP, i.e we didn't take the route allowing --without-gmp, or similar.

This is acceptable. My main concern is that Guile not exhibit "creeping DLL
hell". I once heard a statistic that said the Gnucash project, for instance,
has some 60 lib dependencies. Most of these are probably due to interlocking
GNOME dependencies... but that factors into why I don't touch GNOME with a
ten-foot pole.

Ideally, as you said, we'd provide an option to allow the user to opt out of
GMP usage, hopefully with no loss in functionality.

--
Jeffrey T. Read
"I fight not for me but the blind babe Justice!" --Galford