Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).

From: Jeff Read
Subject: Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:21:33 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:35:44AM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:

> If the analysis is correct, then it seems like we have a few choices:
>
>   1) Use (and require) GMP anyway and expect people to accomodate the
>      licensing changes.
>
>   2) Use GMP, but have a configure switch that allows you to omit it,
>      either with fallback non-GMP bignum support, or perhaps no
>      bignums at all.
>
>   3) Ask the relevant parties whether or not they might be willing to
>      extend the guile exception to GMP, i.e. add a special Guile
>      clause to the GMP license.
>
>   4) Abandon GMP and continue to do things ourselves.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't think option 1 is a good idea, both from a licensing standpoint
(because changing licenses, especially from less restrictive ones to more
restrictive ones, is tricky) and from a more pragmatic standpoint concerning
Guile's deployment.

I rather like the notion of Guile as "SIOD on steroids". Basically a relatively
lightweight, self-contained, but very powerful and RnRS-compliant Scheme with
strengths in extension and integration. For this purpose, anyway, options 2 and
4 are best. Option 3 is a possibility if we bundle in GMP with Guile.

Right now I'm compiling Guile out-of-the-box (out-of-the-tarball?) on a stock
OpenBSD system, which doesn't come all tricked out like a lot of popular
GNU/Linux distros do. I'd like to continue to be able to do this, and not sweat
too much about libraries that Guile depends on for its very existence.

--
Jeffrey T. Read
"I fight not for me but the blind babe Justice!" --Galford