Re: IEEE Inf and NaN support for numbers.c

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: IEEE Inf and NaN support for numbers.c
Date: 25 Apr 2002 00:31:12 +0200

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 24-Apr-2002, Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | The cleanest way that I can think of right now is to use the
> | hash-comma reader extension:
> |
> |     #,(+inf)   #,(-inf)   #,(nan)   #,(nan 0.42345)
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand what
>
>   #,(nan 0.42345)
>
> means.

That was meant to represent a NaN with additional information.  As far
as I know, there are some unused bits in the mantissa of a IEEE NaN
that can be used to further characterize the NaN.  I don't know of any
application of them, tho.

> It is easy enough to fix the patch so that it will write out these
> values any way you like.  But I don't know enough about guile to know
> what to modify to make it read these forms.

Ok.  I think we should follow PLT Scheme here.  I will apply your
patch and make the necessary changes.