Re: Release management - take 1

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Release management - take 1
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:17:58 -0700

   From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:39:07 -0500

   Sounds reasonable -- I've actually had a few false starts on such a
   script here -- initially for my own use, but if it ended up being
   good enough I had planned to add it to guile.

cool.

   I have to say, though that so far I've still been more comfortable
   just having the RELEASE list and doing each step by hand, but I agree
   that a *good* script would likely be a win, so I'll keep at it.

i'm in parallel writing such a dist-guile (based on dist-guile-www)
aimed for 1.4.1 release (so you see, i'm bugging you to write this stuff
down so that i can follow your lead).  it doesn't do all the things in
RELEASE, just the mechanical bits.  will probably checkin today.

   two weeks is probably better, making sure at least two weekends are
   in there for people who need to do the work then.

good point.  weekends are quite precious to volunteer efforts.

   OK, I'll take my original and your comments and merge these into the
   workbook.  I may also take your suggestion (in another message) and
   make doing this be the resolution to one of the "release critical"
   bugs, but I really don't think this should hold up the 1.6.1, since
   everyone here involved knows what's going on.

that's wishful thinking.  the day everyone knows what's going on, the
universe will blink out of existence.  remember that there are lurkers
(reading this) who may become guile maintainers in the future, and
indeed current maintainers (self included) who are depending on you to
do the thinking for them on these matters.

   Accordingly I'd like to reserve the right to move the relevant todo
   item to being 1.8 release critical if everything else is done, but
   let's see how far I get by Monday.

i'm glad to see checkins of process-related docs.

thi