Re: Release management - take 1

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release management - take 1
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:39:07 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>       * Eventually workbook/tasks/TODO and a scan of workbook/bugs/* for
>       the relevant release-critical tags should always provide a
>       *complete* picture of what's holding up a release.  For those
>       that don't have direct CVS access, please make sure you ask
>       someone who does to edit TODO or bugs/* accordingly.
>
> this latter point can be codified, and thus indicates a TODO item:
> "write why-not-release? scanner" (just added).

Sounds good.

>       * whenever all the currently listed release TODO items and release
>       critical bugs have been resolved (by whatever means), the release
>       manager will build, upload and announce a pre-release beta.
>
> new TODO item: "write maintainer script dist-guile"

Sounds reasonable -- I've actually had a few false starts on such a
script here -- initially for my own use, but if it ended up being good
enough I had planned to add it to guile.

I have to say, though that so far I've still been more comfortable
just having the RELEASE list and doing each step by hand, but I agree
that a *good* script would likely be a win, so I'll keep at it.

>       * If after a pre-release beta has been out for a week and no new
>       agreed-upon release-critical issues arise, the release manager
>       will build, upload, and announce the stable release.
>
> i would up this to two weeks given how time flies when you get old
> (maybe you are lucky to not feel this :-) and how we would like to
> eventually encourage all people to participate, no matter age or other
> business.

That's fine with me.  I'll make the change.  In truth, I expected
there to be some slack in there anyhow, but I wanted to make sure
things didn't drag out too long.  You're probably right, though, two
weeks is probably better, making sure at least two weekends are in
there for people who need to do the work then.

> everything else looks great.  i like being able to visualize code
> based on these descriptions...  now on to the unique process...

OK, I'll take my original and your comments and merge these into the
workbook.  I may also take your suggestion (in another message) and
make doing this be the resolution to one of the "release critical"
bugs, but I really don't think this should hold up the 1.6.1, since
everyone here involved knows what's going on.  Accordingly I'd like to
reserve the right to move the relevant todo item to being 1.8 release
critical if everything else is done, but let's see how far I get by
Monday.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu