Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:09:37 -0700

   From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
   Date: 13 Apr 2002 09:50:22 +0100

   If we can agree this, it would be good to do it in 1.6, for
   continuity.  (Of interface, I mean; module coding would change
   slightly, as just stated.)

would you like to do this rejuvenation job?  it seems like you
understand the motivation and the implementation approach.

   More generally, looking back through mailing list history, it's
   actually astonishing how much support for various stuff that Guile
   has _lost_ along the way.  My overall impression is that we
   (collectively) have been too glib about this.

basically, removing stuff from the interface w/o taking prior use into
account has the same effect as forking.  you see this a lot w/ newbie
designers.  other telltale signs are "the new way is better because
things *should* be used in this new way" and other circular thinking.

thi