Re: html mails

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: html mails
Date: 23 Apr 2002 22:45:38 +0200

"Gerrit P. Haase" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hallo Marius,
>
> > "Gerrit P. Haase" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Hallo Guile,
> >>
> >>   Would you mind to forbid HTML mails for this list?
> >>   At least 99% of this SPAM is in HTML!
>
> > I'd rather have you filter them locally.
>
> Then I need to fetch them all from the POP3 server.

(You could ask your ISP to filter them for you.  But that's a weak
argument I guess.)

> Why isn't it 'standard'  on mailinglists to use only
> text mail? [...]

Well, I'm sympathetic to your cause.  I have contacted the Savannah
guys to see what they have to say about filtering spam.

The current setup would be to have Mailman filter postings based on
some header regexps (which we already do), and the list admin (that's
me right now) needs to review every such filtered article individually
and can then decide to discard it.  This doesn't scale.

I have written a small frontend to the Mailman interface that allows
me to delete all filtered postings with a single click (after
reviewing them), so technically, I'm prepared to filter out huge
amounts of stuff, and even get a chance to check whether the filters
are unintentionally picking up valid postings.

I'm also prepared to bow to some higher-up FSF policy with regard to
mailing list filtering, so I can't promise anything yet.  As a test, I
will block all text/html mails.