Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:44:25 -0700

   From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
   Date: 20 Apr 2002 13:21:56 +0100

   Both, I think, but I don't see the distinction that you're making.

the tasks can be done independently because the implementation of a
"low-level module" (aka obarray) can be changed if the functional
interface to this data structure is maintained.  load-extension and
environments are independent areas in of themselves and only join when
they interact in implementing the module system at the module system
internal interfaces ("together" w/in resolve-interface).

the node "Modules and Environments" in $w/modules/module-snippets.texi
explains some of the overloaded uses of the word "module".  i think it
would be a helpful change to use different names for data structures at
different use-scopes, to give ourselves some semantic cues.  otherwise,
confusion naturally reigns.

thi