Re: Roadmap and goals?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Roadmap and goals?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:26:18 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> It may be too much to ask, but I'd like to see a VM being integrated
> into guile-core. The one that Keisuke Nishida wrote a while back is
> supposedly really good; integrating it so that byte-compilation and
> execution of bytecodes becomes the default method of interpretation
> and execution (much as it is with mzscheme) would be a Good Thing
> for Guile, performance-wise.

A VM is possible, but see the other recent notes on what probably
needs to happen first, in particular Marius' (and my) recent mails
about the macro system, module system cleanups, etc.

> Responding to .NET, SOAP, and all that hype-based hoopla with
> efficient Scheme-based simple RPC and secure mobile code mechanisms
> would be nifty.

One thing you might want to check out is ice-9/safe.scm if you haven't
looked at it yet.  It's not what you're talking about above, but it
does allow you to create environments where it's supposed to be safe
to eval random-untrusted-code and have very careful control over what
it could possibly do.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu