Re: Roadmap and goals?

From: bitwize
Subject: Re: Roadmap and goals?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:58:25 +0200 (CEST)

On 17 Apr 2002, Neil Jerram wrote:

> Some of the things that interest me are: documentation, both manual
> and online; debugging facilities; Emacs integration; libguile
> factorization; Elisp translation.

It may be too much to ask, but I'd like to see a VM being integrated into
guile-core. The one that Keisuke Nishida wrote a while back is supposedly
really good; integrating it so that byte-compilation and execution of
bytecodes becomes the default method of interpretation and execution (much
as it is with mzscheme) would be a Good Thing for Guile, performance-wise.

Another thing is, I use Guile where many hackers would choose Perl or
Python, as an all-purpose automation and glue language. It's there, it
works, and Scheme is much easier to write things quickly in than those
other languages. Anything that boosts Guile from a systems integration
standpoint would be nice for my uses. Responding to .NET, SOAP, and all
that hype-based hoopla with efficient Scheme-based simple RPC and
secure mobile code mechanisms would be nifty.

That's my wish list for the time being. The TODO also mentions a decent
Guile binding for Tk. I'm currently working on this using pTk; has anyone
gotten any further?

> For me I think the answers are (i) because it's GNU (ii) because it's
> what I'm now familiar with, which makes me inclined to stick at it
> until we get it right.  Plus in all the things that I've tried to do
> with it, I've not yet hit any insurmountable technical or
> philosophical barrier - it mostly "just works."

The fact that "it's GNU" is perhaps instrumental to Guile's success.
Scheme has overall been slapped with the Pascal stigma: it's an
"educational language", which means it lacks utility in the Real World.
Guile represents disproof by counterexample, by being quite central to
many of the things GNU is doing (GNOME, etc.).

> Allegedly Guile is good for integration with C projects, but to be
> honest I haven't evaluated the competition.

SIOD may actually be better in this regard, because of its tiny size and
liberal license. But then again, SIOD lacks RnRS compliance, and much of
the other niftiness that Guile has.

--
Jeffrey T. Read
"LOBSTER STICKS TO MAGNET!"