Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]
Date: 15 Apr 2002 19:58:08 +0200

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If we can agree this, it would be good to do it in 1.6,
>
> No. :-)
>
> >     Thien-Thi> alternatively, we need to document *why* 1.6 chooses
> >     Thien-Thi> to rob the users so, at least to ourselves.  "This
> >     Thien-Thi> has been found to be too tricky, and is no longer
> >     Thien-Thi> supported" is, although not dis-honest, still pretty
> >     Thien-Thi> lame.
> >
> > Upon reflection, I agree.
>
> Yeah, ok.  Let me try to explain.  (This is the new
> workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text.)

<snip/>

I'm OK with the new policy not to have *.so loaded automatically.

However, I have a suggestion: If the lib is only to be used by the
.scm module (using load-extension), I see no point in putting it in
${libdir}. Instead it would be cleaner to be able to put it somewhere
in ${libdir}/guile to avoid namespace cluttering in ${libdir} (which
is, for example, (likely to be) indexed by the runtime linker on
linux).

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |