Re: kudos and observation

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: kudos and observation
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:34:33 -0800

   From: "Neil W. Van Dyke" <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:17:44 -0500

   When making decisions in a group like this, I think people in
   general tend to negotiate the proportions subtly for each
   situation.  More a collective art than a science.

this kind of constant negotiation is difficult to scale, and some
(actually most) people really aren't comfortable w/ negotiation
at all.  in the job context where there are processes already in
place to alleviate these issues, negotiation is best done up
front (at interview time).

is guile maintenance (or more generally any free software project
collaboration) a job?  that's hard to say.  i know that i put in
lots of hours for some tenuous future benefit (being able to
compile THUD modules), which is kind of like a job...

   There's few enough core Guile developers that there should be
   little need for edicts.  The team is small enough for everyone
   to be heard in a discussion.  Also, in those cases in which
   consensus on an issue is not quickly reached based on the
   merits of the issue alone, everyone on the team recognizes
   that compromise is sometimes necessary to move forward and to
   maintain a cooperative tone.

the TODO list is pretty daunting for a small team, and i imagine
doubly daunting for a large team that's unorganized.  personally,
i'm trying to encourage documentation of our current processes so
that we attain the minimal self-awareness necessary to be able to
teach that process to the new blood (and improve the process in
the process!).

   (Just an opinion.  I really hesitated to say anything at all,
   since I'm not a core Guile developer myself.  But I hated to
   see unresolved team dynamics glitches that probably require
   only the slightest prodding to fix.)

well the ancients say a good doctor cures your illness and the
best doctor prevents illness in the first place, so a little
fixing w/ a little forward-fixing seems "indicated" here.

somewhat related, you sent `when' and `unless' and have
contributed other useful patches.  do you have any interest in
guile repo write privs?  (this is not an offer per se, just a
feeler.)

thi