"cvs co hack" + good-bye devel/ + hello workbook/

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: "cvs co hack" + good-bye devel/ + hello workbook/
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:02:24 -0800

folks,

CVSROOT/modules now looks like (modulo comments):

  core            guile/guile-core
  workbook        guile/workbook
  scripts         guile/guile-scripts

  hack            &core &workbook &scripts

this means you can do "cvs co hack" to get:

        hack/core
        hack/workbook
        hack/scripts

i figured these three cvs modules are the essential ones for the Serious
Guile Hacker.  i tried "cvs co -r branch_release-1-6 hack" but only got
hack/core as a result (no workbook or scripts).  based on that, here are
the instructions for those interested in playing with multiple branches:

  cvs co hack
  cd hack
  for branch in 1-4 1-6 ; do
      cvs co -d core-$branch -r branch_release-$branch core
  done

i deliberately avoided the word "guile" in the module names because the
context seemed pretty obvious to me, but ymmv.  if the name "hack" is
uncomfortable you can do something like "cvs co -d guile hack", or add
another name to CVSROOT/modules (but not "guile" since that is the name
of an existing directory in the repo (inherited from when all projects
hosted on gnu.org machines shared a single repo (and the easiest way to
distinguish them was by putting each project in its own extra level of
directory hierarchy))).

as for the web pages, unfortunately, they are under another cvsroot.
IMHO they should be included in this bundle (if we can agree on a
checkout bundle organization, it makes it easier to write scripts).
any ideas?

in other news, devel/ is history.  its contents are now in workbook/
(sorry, i didn't actually preserve the individual file histories in the
move, although cvs certainly keeps things around somewhere).  i took the
liberty of moving memory.text into gc/, htbmc* into policy/, and adding
dirs bugs/ (currently empty pending BUGS import), journal/ and tasks/.

please see tasks/README and tasks/TODO for the proposed new place for
the main (global) TODO and some added details to the TODO protocol --
feedback requested.  probably the more cross-release stuff we can factor
out of core/ the better.

the only file that failed to make the transition from devel/ to
workbook/ is ChangeLog, but we can bring it back if that's what people
want (i'm thinking it won't be necessary because the next step after
bugs rendering is generally "workbook rendering" which could include a
standardly generated ChangeLog).

ok, is this Too Much Process yet?!

thi