Handling BUGS.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Handling BUGS.
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:12:24 -0600

What about a semi-trivial upgrade to our bug handling infrastructure?

  (1) create a top level guile CVS module called guile-bugs.

  (2) create a shallow directory tree:
        guile-bugs/active/
        guile-bugs/resolved/

  (3) create a new file in active/ per bug containing the current
      contents of it's entry in 1.5/BUGS or 1.7/BUGS -- merge any
      duplicates.  (a simple 'ls | sort -n | tail -1" can tell us what
      the next bug number should be)

  (4) Add an "affects" field to every bug, and whenever a bug's
      "affects" field becomes empty, move it to resolved/.  The
      affects field would be something like: "affects: 1.4 1.5 1.7" or
      perhaps (affects "1.4" "1.5" "1.7") -- not sure if scheme-forms
      would buy us anything we care about...

  (5) modify the RELEASE process to require that a current BUGS file
      be generated from guile-bugs and added to the release CVS tree
      at release time (just before tagging the release).  This file
      would be (auto)generated from guile-bugs/active based on the
      contents of the "affects" fields.

  (6) add a note to the top of the auto-generated BUGS files
      indicating that they're auto-generated and pointing people at
      the guile-bugs CVS module and/or any web pages we might
      auto-generate from guile-bugs.

This seems like it would be a lot more flexible than what we have now,
and shouldn't be much work.

Thoughts?

--
Rob Browning