Re: snarfer guard macro name decision: SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: snarfer guard macro name decision: SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:31:53 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> on the other hand, i am eager to resolve the SCM_VCELL removal issue in
> favor of allowing minimal changes to C source.

For at least the next release of guile, it's unlikely that we're going
to have completely smooth transitions -- guile has a lot of
accumulated cruft, some from it's origins, and some because until
recently we were on a very different (and ambiguous) path with respect
to the gh_ interface, an interface which now should be going away in
it's *entirety* in the not too distant future.  Heck until we finish
the _I_ _i_ renamings, there wasn't even any way for anyone to *know*
when they were using soemthing they shouldn't have been, but that
doesn't mean we're planning to support the entire exposed interface
going forward.

IMO the process of dropping all this cruft and cleaning things up may
be a bit painful, but I think it's far better than maintaining all of
it into the indefinite future, and this shouldn't be a continual
problem.  Once we finish one or two more releases with heavy cleanup,
guile should be much less jarring from release to release.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu