Re: snarfer guard macro name decision: SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: snarfer guard macro name decision: SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:44:55 -0800

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 14 Mar 2002 19:48:55 +0100

   Don't do this.  First, SCM_VCELL and SCM_VARIABLE are not the same
   thing.  You can't substitute one for the other.  (Likewise for the
   substitutions.)

oops my bad, i didn't understand the macros well enough.  what can you
use then, if you're interested in the long term?

   Second, we already keep proper backward compatibility in the C code
   itself:

       #if (SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED == 0)

       #define SCM_CONST_LONG(c_name, scheme_name,value) \
       SCM_VCELL_INIT(c_name, scheme_name, scm_long2num(value))

these are not available in HEAD branch, which is where i did the
original digging (thinking that perhaps snarfing macros are no longer in
flux, but now i see that's not the case).

they are indeed in branch_release-1-6.

so now i'm confused.  is each guile release going to change these names
to something else and yank some previous name?  why isn't SCM_VCELL in
HEAD branch snarf.h?  how do you propose to handle the situation where a
user has SCM_VCELL but would like to use guile-1.8?

thi