Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:30:38 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> does anyone mind if i add this explanation to the manual in the
> terminology section?  it seems to be a fundamental part of the
> user/maintainer dialogue.

I'm not particularly excited by the term "drift" if that's what you're
getting at.  I'm sure there are better ways to describe the issue --
if you'll note it was about 11:30PM here when I write the original
message and I wasn't all that concerned with getting every word
exactly right.  All I was *really* trying to get across was that
something was still broken, and I wasn't sure exactly what the source
of the problem was.

However, if you're talking about documenting the more general issue of
problems related to public vs private APIs, cross-version maintenance,
and the importance of regression testing, then I've got no problem
with that.

> ack, i had been looking at how guile-1.4 does its own snarfing for a
> hint at how guile-1.4 guile-snarf works, but that was a mistake!
> guile-1.4 uses some other method of snarfing for itself.  guile-snarf is
> not even used there.  must.  fight.  gumption.  leak...

OK, well just let me know if you need help, or if you figure out how
you'd like to handle programs using the older approach, and I'll fix
up gnome-guile accordingly.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning