Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:04:44 -0800

   From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:42:31 -0600

   "Drift" seems possible and even perhaps likely to me when a
   particular feature that was previously undocumented, and not covered
   by make check, is both publically available and used. [...] something
   we're interested in trying to avoid in the future.

does anyone mind if i add this explanation to the manual in the
terminology section?  it seems to be a fundamental part of the
user/maintainer dialogue.

   > i suppose what i'll do is port 1.4 functionality into 1.6, add
   > "--compat=1.4" (or whatever, i'm open to suggestions) option
   > handling, and document these things.  :-/

   [with good transition docs,] I'd be happy to fix what's needed in
   gnome-guile, and I suspect that Dale would be amenable to adapting
   his code too, once the requirements are clear.

the transition docs and modified guile-snarf are done (testing at the
moment, checkin today likely).  i will also outline the t.docs in NEWS,
and use my new vocab.  hopefully compat mode can accomodate those who
aren't ready to change their source.

     guile-snarf [invocation and result]

   At first glance I had presumed that the problem was that although
   guile-gtk.c #includes guile-gtk.x, the old snarfing process supressed
   that include, but the new one doesn't, but that was just a guess.
   Here's what guile-gtk.c says wrt guile-gtk.x:

     #ifndef SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER
     #ifndef MKDEP
     #include "guile-gtk.x"
     #endif /* MKDEP */
     #endif /* SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER */

ack, i had been looking at how guile-1.4 does its own snarfing for a
hint at how guile-1.4 guile-snarf works, but that was a mistake!
guile-1.4 uses some other method of snarfing for itself.  guile-snarf is
not even used there.  must.  fight.  gumption.  leak...

thi